Lottery completed in June 2012, units no longer available.
ALLARD’S GROVE SENIOR RESIDENTIAL
760 Nashua Road
Allard’s Grove is a newly constructed Age-Restricted community for seniors age 62 and over, being developed under the Massachusetts Chapter 40B program. Allard’s Grove consists of sixty (60) garden style rental units located in two (2) similar but separate buildings, each containing thirty (30) units. The four (4) studio and fifty-six (56) two- bedroom units will be equally dispersed between the buildings.
The complex is located at 760 Nashua Road in Dracut, Massachusetts. These brand new apartments include Energy Star- rated appliances, including in-unit washers and dryers, oven/stoves, dishwashers, disposals, refrigerators and air conditioners. The community will be professionally managed by Owner Gilbert G. Campbell’s management company from their central office in Lowell and offer twenty-four hour maintenance service.
Fifteen (15) of the sixty units will be rented as affordable units for age eligible Low or Moderate income individuals and/or households, fourteen (14) of which are two-bedroom units and a single studio apartment.
The affordable studio is 420 square feet and is offered at $697 per month, and the remaining fourteen two- bedroom/one bath units vary between 775 and 894 square feet, and are offered at $877 per month. The rents include heat and hot water. Tenants shall be responsible for the apartment electricity for lighting and operation of the appliances.
This packet contains specific information on eligibility requirements, selection priority categories, the application process, and the Chapter 40B affordable housing program through which Allard’s Grove is being developed.
The affordable apartments at Allard’s Grove are made available through a lottery. The lottery will be conducted by the Certified Lottery Agent and will be held at the Dracut Senior Center. The date and time of the lottery will be published in advertisements and flyers distributed at various locations. A complete listing of these locations and publications can be found in this information package as well as by contacting the lottery agent.
The application process requires that all applicants for affordable units furnish evidence for all sources of gross household income, as well as the value of assets owned by the household. Household assets will be defined in accordance with 24 CFR 5.609 regulations. Earnings on assets such as savings, stocks and bonds, certificates of deposits, retirement accounts, and other forms of liquid savings will be counted as income. There is no limit on the amount of assets a household can own however, 2% percent of the total value for all assets shall be added to the household income. Furniture, autos, and personal property shall not be counted as assets. Applicants must be age and income qualified and cannot be homeowners at the time of lease execution.
Only complete applications that include proof of age and income eligibility will be entered into the lottery. Should further information be required, the applicant will be notified by the lottery agent and given an opportunity to submit required information and/or documentation to complete their application prior to the lottery.
All persons expected to reside in the apartment must be aged 62 or older at the time of application. The only exception is for a caregiver, over the age of 18, who must reside in the unit to give assistance to the lease holder who is no longer able to perform the critical tasks of personal or household care necessary for everyday survival. The caregiver shall not be a lease holder and will be required to vacate the premises should his/her services no longer be needed.
A household is defined as two or more persons who will live regularly in the unit as their principle residence and who are related by blood, marriage, law or who have otherwise evidenced a stable inter-dependent relationship. Household size shall not exceed local or State Sanitary Code requirements for occupancy of a rental unit at Allard’s Grove.
The lottery agent will hold an informational meeting for potential applicants to address the lottery process and the housing development, with the Developer present as well as any interested local official. The date, time, and location of the informational meeting will be published in ads and flyers that publicize the availability of lottery applications. This advertising will run at least two times during a 60-day period, anticipated to commence in March 2012, upon approval of the AFHMP. The information package and application will be available to be picked up at the informational meeting or at the Dracut and Lowell Housing Authorities, Dracut Town Hall (Town Clerks Office), Dracut public library, and the Dracut Senior Center. Further, the advertisements will inform interested parties that they may call the lottery agent or managing agent, Gilbert Campbell Real Estate, (978) 452-7873, to request that an application be obtained via U.S. mail.
Allard’s Grove Local Preference
To the extent that a local preference will not have a disparate impact on protected classes, first preference for the rental of 70% of the fifteen Affordable Units shall be to current residents of the Town of Dracut who satisfy both the Age-Restriction and Low or Moderate Income eligibility requirements. This local preference is intended to complement and not override or supersede the fair housing marketing regulations of DHCD or other like agencies. Applicants who qualify and satisfy the preference category will be selected before households who do not satisfy the preference category.
The need for local preference is deemed necessary due to the disproportionate amount of affordable housing available to local residents when compared to affordable housing stock in the regional area.
At the time of application, applicants who are requesting preference status must submit documentation that supports proof of residency in the Town of Dracut. Documentation may include, but is not limited to, a valid driver’s license, utility bill, rental receipt, or voter registration card.
Allard’s Grove will select residents in a fair and impartial manner based on their eligibility. Persons who have a financial interest in the development and their families are not eligible for participation in the affordable housing program at Allard’s Grove; however, they shall not be prohibited from renting a market rate unit.
Applicants will be randomly chosen by lottery and will be assigned an apartment according to their number drawn by lottery. Details of the lottery process, in accordance with DHCD recommended guidelines, are set forth below. After the lottery all members of the applicant household must sign release statements allowing for further screening such as landlord reference and credit screening to ensure that applicants meet general Resident Selection Criteria.
Applicants will be denied if:
- Application is not complete or without proper documentation ; or
- They will be homeowners at the time of lease execution; or
- All household members are not verified to be aged 62 or over; or
- Verified household income does not meet minimum or maximum guidelines; or
- Third party consumer reporting agency (RealPage, Inc.) undertakes a Consumer Report which indicates a history of eviction, unsatisfied judgments, excessive debts, late payments; or
- Landlord verification indicates a history of disturbance of neighbors, late payments or damage to the premises.
Those applicants that participate in the lottery, but do not have the opportunity rent, will be placed on a waitlist that will be retained for one year and applicants from this waitlist will be considered as apartments become available based upon their original order from the lottery.
Maximum Income Affordable Units
To be eligible for occupancy of an affordable apartment, the combined gross annual income from all sources must be at or below eighty percent (80%) of the median income, by household size, for the Lowell, MA HMFA, as calculated from the income limits published for December, 2011 by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The maximum income allowed for this program is:
Household Size_____________ Income Limit
In order to ensure that households will be able to pay the rent and other charges under the terms of the lease agreement, Allard’s Grove has set a minimum income requirement equal to twice the amount of rent. In certain circumstances, applicants may be allowed to substitute liquid assets for inadequate income levels.
All participants in the affordable housing program at Allard’s Grove must be determined to be program eligible at the time of application as well as annually recertified for continued eligibility. An applicant’s income source and total asset value must be supported by providing appropriate documentation. The methods used in the calculation of household income shall be completed in accordance with 24 CFR 5.609.
To ensure that households continue to meet the requirements of the affordable housing program, households are required to participate in annual recertification procedures. The same methods used for initial qualification shall prevail. Any resident who was qualified at the time of initial occupancy, but whose income at the time of recertification exceeds eighty (80%) of Area Median Income shall continue to be treated as a qualified resident and the maximum rent allowable under the affordable housing program shall continue to apply to such resident.
Any resident who at the time of recertification, is found to exceed one-hundred-forty percent (140%) of the Maximum Allowable Income, shall, from the expiration of the then current lease term, no longer be treated as a qualified resident and may be charged market rent for the unit after another equal unit is brought into the affordable housing program and occupied by a qualified resident.
Required Verification Documents
The following documents must be included with the original application to verify household income and assets. These documents include, but are not limited to:
- Federal Tax Returns – 2011 and 2012 (NO STATE TAX RETURNS)
- W2 and/or 1099-R Forms – 2011 and 2012
- Five (5) consecutive pay stubs ending within one month of lottery application for all jobs held. For Unemployment benefits, copies of checks or Department of Unemployment Assistance verification stating benefits received. Same for disability, worker’s compensation and/or severance pay.
- Proof of the full amount of periodic payments for Social Security, annuities, insurance policies, retirement funds, pensions, disability or death benefits, or any other periodic payment.
- Court document indicating the amount of alimony or spousal support.
- Self-employment – provide an asset and balance sheet as well as the last three (3) consecutive business checking and savings account statements.
- Interest, dividends and other net income received from all real or personal property assets.
- Asset Statement(s): Provide current statement for all that apply:
-> Checking and savings accounts – last six (6) consecutive months (ALL PAGES)
-> Revocable trusts
-> Equity in rental property or other capital investments
-> Investment accounts (stocks, bonds, CD’s, Treasury Bills, Mutual Funds, Money Market Accounts, 401K, Retirement and Pension funds)
-> Cash value of Whole Life or Universal Life insurance policies.
-> Personal property held as an investment
-> Lump sum or one-time receipts
- If a home was owned and sold prior to leasing, a cop of the HUD Settlement Sheet is required.
Equal Housing Opportunity
Allard’s Grove LLC (the Owner) shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religious creed, sex, handicap, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin or any other basis prohibited by law, in the lease, use or occupancy of units at the development, except as specifically exempted for the housing of older persons aged 62 and over.
Compliance with the American with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, Civil Rights Act, and Massachusetts General Law
It is the policy of Allard’s Grove to promote equal opportunity and non-discrimination in compliance with, but not limited to, the federal and state constitutions and legislative enactments addressing discrimination in housing. In carrying out the Resident Selection Plan, Allard’s Grove will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion; national or ethnic origin, citizenship, ancestry, class, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, disability, military/veteran status, source of income, or other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law in any matters of tenant selection or continued occupancy. The age-restriction requirement of the housing development is consistent with a lawful eligibility requirement and not in violation of Fair Housing laws.
Allard’s Grove has been constructed in accordance with Universal Design Standards and Massachusetts’s Architectural Access Board Standards. Allard’s Grove LLC will make reasonable accommodations in policies and/or practices and will make reasonable modifications to common areas or units for all persons with disabilities who require such changes to have equal access to any aspect of the application process or to the development and its programs or services.
ALLARD’S GROVE LOTTERY PROCEDURE
- Once begun, the marketing period shall be for a period of not less than 60-days, and shall be in accordance with the Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan (AFHMP) as approved by DHCD.
- Prior to the lottery, applicants that submitted incomplete applications will be contacted and offered the opportunity to provide the missing information and/or documentation. A deadline for providing such information will be included.
- Only complete applications with supporting documentation attached that were postmarked by the established closing date will be entered into the lottery.
- A master list will be created that includes the household name, composition, contact information, race, preference, and eventually, the lottery drawing number for all pools entered.
- A lottery card for every application and appropriate pool will be made out containing the household name, apartment size preferred, race and preference information.
- A manual lottery will be held at the Dracut Senior Center. The person chosen to randomly draw the lottery cards will be an independent party with no affiliation to Allard’s Grove or the Developer.
- The lottery cards will be sorted into a Preference Pool and a General Pool. All households that qualify for a preference will be entered in both Pools.
- If the Preference Pool contains less than 27% minority applicants a preliminary lottery will be conducted and minority applicants from the General Pool will be added to the Preference Pool until that requirement is met.
- The Preference Pool will be drawn first. Each application will be assigned a number according to the order in which they were randomly drawn. This number will be recorded onto the master list.
- The General Pool will be drawn next in the same manner until all applications have been drawn and assigned a lottery number.
- After all applications have been drawn, a review will be performed to determine which applicants indicated a preference for the studio unit. It will be assigned to the first applicant drawn indicating a preference. If there are no applicants indicating a preference for the studio unit, it will be assigned to the first single applicant household drawn.
- All applicants will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist.
- After the lottery winners will be expected to meet with a representative within 10 days to complete lease processing which includes further verification of general selection criteria.
- If an applicant from either pool does not complete the lease process, or is found to be otherwise ineligible, the next applicant from that pool will proceed through the process until all the affordable rental units are leased.
- A waiting list will be established and maintained for one year and applicants will be notified when additional rental units become available.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE WITH PROPER DOCUMENTATION OF AGE & ANNUAL INCOME ATTACHED TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENTRY INTO THE LOTTERY
TO BE ENTERED IN THE LOTTERY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS MUST BE
POSTMARKED (IF MAILED) OR HAND DELIVERED BY: ________________________________
PLEASE DETACH THIS INFORMATION PACKET AND
RETURN ONLY THE AFFORDABLE RENTAL APPLICATION
AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TO:
Certifying Lottery Agent
RE/MAX Prestige/Coravos Real Estate
2100 Lakeview Avenue
Dracut, MA 01852